Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
top of page
Central Arkansas Workforce Logo- Click here to return to home page





How Do I Enroll in the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, generally known as Section 8, is a federal government program that assists low-income families in finding affordable housing. Participants can choose housing that fits the program's qualifications and receive housing vouchers to help with rental payments.

Are you interested in Section 8 housing? Here are five quick facts to help you understand the Housing Choice Voucher Program and find federal assistance.

You can choose where you live

The participant has the freedom to choose any housing that fulfills the requirements of the Housing Choice Voucher Program and is not restricted to units in subsidized housing buildings. Contact your local Public Housing Agent (PHA) to learn more about the program and the requirements for finding a home.

You can relocate while receiving voucher assistance

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is intended to allow families to relocate without losing their housing support. Moves are permitted if the family notifies the PHA in advance, terminates its existing lease in accordance with the lease requirements, and finds acceptable alternate housing.

You have obligations as a tenant while receiving assistance

While receiving Housing Choice Voucher Program assistance, the tenant must follow the lease and program rules, pay its portion of rent on time, keep the unit in good condition, and inform the PHA of any changes in income or family composition.

The landlord must furnish housing that satisfies the program's guidelines

A landlord must offer a tenant with appropriate, safe, and sanitary housing at a reasonable rent. If the owner gets housing aid payments, the dwelling unit must meet the program's housing quality criteria and be kept up to date. Furthermore, the landlord is required to supply the services agreed to in the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the PHA.

The program's costs are covered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funding to PHAs in order for them to make housing assistance payments on behalf of families. HUD also pays the PHA a fee to cover program administration costs. When additional funds become available to assist new families, HUD invites PHAs to submit applications for funds for additional housing vouchers.

92 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page