Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
top of page
Central Arkansas Workforce Logo- Click here to return to home page





Answers to the Most Common Post-9/11 GI Bill Questions

Are you a Veteran thinking about getting a degree or vocational training? This article will explain how the Post-9/11 GI Bill can assist with tuition, housing, textbooks, school supplies, and, in some cases, relocation services if the recipient is from a rural area.

Discover how the Post-9/11 GI Bill, administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), can assist you today.

Who is eligible to receive benefits?

To be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001;

  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and honorably discharged after any amount of service;

  • Served at least 30 continuous days on or after September 11, 2001, and honorably discharged with a service-connected disability; or

  • Are a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or servicemember.

What kind of benefits can I receive?

Individuals who qualify may get up to 36 months of benefits, which include:

  • Tuition and fees: If you qualify for the maximum benefit, the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay for all public, in-state tuition and fees. Please keep in mind that rates for private and foreign colleges are limited by the Department of Veterans Affairs. These fees may vary from year to year, but you can check current rates on the VA's website.

  • Housing allowance (if you attend school more than half-time): The VA calculates your monthly housing allowance based on the cost of living in the area where your school is located.

  • Money for books and supplies: Recipients can receive up to $1,000 per school year;

  • Money to assist you in relocating from a rural area to attend school: If you live in a county with six or fewer people per square mile and travel at least 500 miles to school or have no other option than to fly, you may be eligible for a one-time payment of $500.

Each qualified individual will get a benefit payment based on the length of their active service since September 10, 2001. This amount will be calculated by the VA based on a percentage of the maximum benefit.

How do I apply?

To apply, fill out VA Form 22-1990, "Application for VA Education Benefits." You can submit your application online.

11 views0 comments
bottom of page