Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
top of page
Central Arkansas Workforce Logo- Click here to return to home page




How to Get a Work Permit in Arkansas - Teen Jobs

Updated: Jan 25, 2023

Obtaining a work permit in Arkansas is considerably simpler than most teenagers believe, but the entire procedure might be somewhat difficult if you've never done it before. As a result, we've prepared this article that explains all you need to know about obtaining a work permit in Arkansas.

If you're under the age of 16, you'll need a work permit to work part-time at any company, so follow the steps here and you'll be able to find work in no time.

Arkansas's Minimum Working Age

A minor in Arkansas can begin working at the age of 14 with an official employment certificate or work permit. This employment certificate is needed for all children under the age of 16, and it must be granted by the Director of Labor and kept on file by the employer.

Teenagers in Arkansas who grumble about having "nothing to do" may keep themselves occupied and earn money at the age of 14, while also obtaining useful job experience through summer or part-time employment. This is fantastic news for teenagers and their parents, who want to see their children continue to grow and learn.

Applying For a Work Permit in Arkansas

To start the process of getting an approved employment certificate, the minor should fill out a "Application for Employment of a Minor." In Arkansas, obtaining a work permit as a juvenile is a simple process.

Those between the ages of 14 and 15 should complete the following procedures in order to get an authorized employment certificate:

  1. Section 2 should be completed by the minor's parent, guardian, or custodian, and should contain their address, the minor's birthplace and date of birth, as well as their consent for the minor to be employed.

  2. The minor should look for work with an employer who is prepared to fill out Section 3, the "Intention to Employ." This information is necessary in order for the permission to be issued. This part contains information on the sort of employment for which the minor will be recruited, the number of days per week, and the expected start and finish hours each day.

  3. The application must be accompanied by proof of age. Proof of age can be provided via a birth certificate, driver's license, state or federal identification card, or a certified copy of a school record that includes the minor's name and date of birth.

  4. The application should be sent to the Labor Standards Section of the Arkansas Department of Labor.

  5. The parent/guardian, minor AND employer must all sign the application.

  6. The Director of the Department of Labor will issue the employment certificate if it is approved.

Employer Responsibility with Work Permits in Arkansas

An employer must collaborate with the minor to complete the "Application for Employment of a Minor." Furthermore, when hiring a minor, the employer is responsible for the following:

  1. The employer may not allow the employee to begin working until the employer has received an approved employment certificate.

  2. The employer must have a copy of the authorized employment certificate on file where the Arkansas Department of Labor, the Arkansas Department of Education, and local school officials may easily access it.

  3. The certificate must be kept on file by the employer both while the minor is working and for a period of no less than three years after the minor quits employment.

  4. The employer must follow Arkansas law in regards to employment times for minors, the details of which are noted on the "Application for Employment of a Minor."

13,098 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page